Wednesday 25 June 2014

TWO SHADES OF FRENCH GRAY

Pair of Swedish painted cabinets bought in S.of France
 The lower picture on the left,  from the French antiques magazine, ALADIN was very useful to me as it helped to identify a very similar pair I bought in the South of France many years ago at a seaside antiques/brocante fair, shown above in my dining room.   The owner of my pair knew nothing about them and the pastel gray paint and simple diamond design on the doors and lovely faux marbre tops made me think of  beautiful Swedish furniture I had occasionally seen -  Anyway, to discover from this picture that my pair was 18thC  and described as Swedish, was a real bonus and the price I had paid for them was also a steal!  The magazine picture was all about a robbery - I'm not guilty! Two days later  I am quite confused by this amazing coincidence!   Looking through Pinterest new service for the very first time I was looking through all the gorgeous piles of French linen and then suddenly my eye was caught by a picture of yet another cabinet/cupboard/commode so very similar to my two - and yet different in details and different to the one I snipped out of Aladin Magazine;  the drawers, the ribbing on the raised diamonds on the doors, no faux marbre paint and claiming to be Swedish (after all).  Who is right and were these lovely things made by the dozen???  Answers please!!Diamond designs in Spades!

No comments:

Post a Comment